The West Virginia Housing Development Fund has begun accepting Request for Proposals for the new Code Enforcement Technical Assistance Support as part of the Property Rescue Initiative program. The Code Enforcement Technical Assistance program offers up to $10,000 in financial assistance to enhance existing or to create effective code enforcement for communities. The financing can be used for adopting and updating ordinances, procuring a certified code enforcement official, training in code enforcement procedures and practices, and personal certifications or department accreditation relevant to code enforcement.
The financial assistance comes in the form of an unsecured loan. Generally, the loans will be 0% interest, deferred and forgivable at the time of the final loan disbursement.
This type of financial assistance can help communities overcome some of the initial barriers to effective code enforcement. Effective code enforcement is key to preventing and managing problem properties such as those identified through the WVU BAD Buildings program. These properties cause a range of problems for communities such as stifled investment, diminished property values, increased crime, health and safety concerns, increased costs and risks for emergency services, and lower neighborhood moral.
Pre-applications are due by February 21st and Final Applications are due February 28th.
To be eligible you must:
- Be a municipality under 20,000 population or a county under 50,000 population
- Receiving technical assistance as part of the Property Rescue Initiative Program
- Have a feasible code enforcement strategy as determined by HDF or its contracted partners
- Compliance with all applicable state and local laws relating to the adoption of the code or ordinance
- Have the authority to enter into a binding debt obligation for the term of the loan. Cities or counties may authorize other organizations to apply for a Program Loan on their behalf
Documents for applicants:
Important dates for applicants are:
- Tuesday, January 16th, 2018 – Conference Call 10:00am to 12:00pm
A conference call will be held to answer any questions concerning the RFP. Call 304-848-6940, conference bridge 703135# to participate.
- Wednesday, February 21st, 2018 – Pre-application deadline
Applicants are required to submit one (1) ELECTRONIC COPY of the pre-application by the pre-application submission deadline. The pre-application must be typed and/or electronically prepared on the prescribed form.
- Wednesday, February 28st, 2018 – Final application deadline
Applicants are required to submit one (1) ELECTRONIC COPY and one (1) HARD COPY of the final application and all required attachments by the application submission deadline. The final application must be typed and/or electronically prepared and printed on the prescribed form.