From Liability to Viability: A Legal Toolkit to Address Neglected Properties in West Virginia is a new, exciting, and long-anticipated tool now available from the West Virginia University Land Use and Sustainable Development Law Clinic. This toolkit presents currently available legal tools to help local governments in West Virginia convert dilapidated properties to productive use. Click here to access the toolkit online in addition to a free downloadable PDF.
Highlights from the toolkit include:
- Building code, citations, liens for demolition, eminent domain, land banks and more
- Vacant Property Registration
- Negotiating with stakeholders
- West Virginia community examples and usage
- Advantages and disadvantages of each tool
- Ways to fund each tool
If your community faces any issue related to abandoned or dilapidated properties, you should explore the WV LEAP toolkit. WV LEAP stands for West Virginia Legal Education to Address Abandoned/Neglected Properties, a program of the WVU Land Use Law Clinic.